What our students say
I am an amputee in my mid fifties, having lost my right leg below the knee to a shark in 1975. Swimming is my main exercise and I am a strong swimmer as a result, albeit self taught. I enrolled in the Swimathon last year but fell ill and was concerned about my stamina. A friend suggested a refresher swimming course so I joined a two day session with Nick from Swimming By Design. Definitely one of my better decisions!
The course starts from the very beginning - breathing (I still do the exercises now) and moved on a small step at a time after the previous step had been perfected. Almost all the time was spent in the pool, allowing plenty of time for practice of what was being taught. In retrospect, the progression was very logical and individual parts of the stroke were taught bit by bit, building up slowly so that at no stage did I feel that I did not know what I was meant to be doing (although actually doing it was sometimes a different matter). At the end of the course, I could swim a length a lot more efficiently than at the start and knew what I should be doing. Since the course, I have taken away the training notes (only 3 pages) and have continued to practice and, after 10 weeks can now swim a mile easily and my stoke is the most efficient of all the swimmers I see in my pool (less strokes pre length). I would be keen to see Nick again to ensure I am still doing everything correctly but mainly to show him what a great swimmer I am, which proves what an excellent teacher he is.
- Very low 4:1 student ratio
- Modern scientific approach – designed for fast fun learning
- Teachers in the water, not shouting from the side
- We practice what we preach – our teachers are great swimmers
- Friendly professional knowledgeable staff
- Qualified, insured & CRB checked
Our philosophy encourages students to -
- Discover their own natural buoyancy
- Learn comfortable natural breathing
- Work with the water rather than fight against it
- Become strong relaxed efficient swimmers